Nobody's Perfect | newborn portraits

January 25, 2017  •  Leave a Comment

Let me start by saying, starting the new year with a newborn session is not a bad way to start at all. But, the session didn't quite go the way I wanted nor expected. I suppose I should start at the beginning. Well, my current client had her babies, yes babies. She had twin boys. She had been on bed rest for a while, so I was checking on her periodically to see how she and they were doing. Shortly after they were born she let me know, but was not prepared for the portrait session. C-sections don't really allow you to move around that well and I didn't want to put any undue stress upon her, so I waited for her to heal. During this time we went back and forth trying to coordinate a time for me to come out. I mean, she had already paid for the session so I wanted to make sure she got what she paid for. Once the session was scheduled, everything was honky dory...or was it?

When I arrived at her house, she greeted me at the door with one of the twins, Tristen. I asked her if they would be difficult to tell apart and she quickly said "no." Evidently they are fraternal twins and she was right, they are very easy to tell apart. Anyway, Letecha lead me to the nursery where she wanted me to photograph. After I set up I wanted to have both babies in the room. This is when I met Serene or as they call him, Wild Bill. Turns out that Serene is quite ornery and unpredictable. Let's just say he lived up to his moniker.

Even though Tristen was asleep when I arrived, he didn't stay that way. I believe it happened shortly after we removed his diaper. I was going to lay them down and photograph them in he buff, but as soon as they laid down they became fussy. So I picked up Serene and either Letecha or her daughter picked up Tristen to calm them down. Heck, at this point, I honestly don't remember which baby I picked up. All I do remember is that the baby that I had peed on me. I have been a professional photographer for 14 years and that was the first time I had ever been peed on. I've seen babies poop and pee on their parents and my backdrops and blankets, but never on me. The funny thing about it is that I didn't even realize it at first. I do remember my stomach getting a little warm, but that was it. I didn't realize what it was until someone else noticed the stream coming between him and me. Yeah...good times. Since the show much go on, I toweled myself off as well as I could and went right back to work. At this point, the babies were not going back to sleep, so I brought Eddie in to hold them. Neither Letecha nor Eddie wanted to have their portraits taken that day, so when I told Eddie I wouldn't include his face he was happy about that.

Anyway, trying to capture even this portrait with their dad holding them was a feat.


By the way, did I mention that the twins were 5 weeks old at this point? Yes, it is older than what I would like, but to be fair I have made a 10 week old look like a newborn. A very healthy newborn, but a newborn nonetheless. Not only that, I was taken aback by their size. When I think of newborn twins, I picture babies that were 3 to 4 pounds at birth. Not in this case. Both boys were around or over 6 pounds when they were born, with Serene being the larger of the two. When I looked at them, I knew neither one of then was going to fit in my basket. I had a large pail, but only one of them would fit at a time.

We tried to put them to sleep a few times. At one point Serene was asleep, as was Tristen, until we tried to lay him on his brother. That didn't go well.  Although I do love to photograph babies, holding them and putting them to sleep is always a plus. I even took a few of Serene laying on his belly awake, but he kept raising his head, flailing his arms and scooting off the blanket.


Well at least Tristen laid still for me, but he did keep putting his hands in front of his face. Not the ideal pose, but sometimes you have to take what you can get.


At this point I knew it was a wrap. So I packed up my studio and said my goodbyes and off I went. Letecha would like to take 6 month portraits, so I have that to look forward to. I really must follow my cutoff timeframe regarding babies' ages, at least when it comes to newborns. All babies are different, but there are certain things that are the same. No matter, I still enjoyed seeing Letecha and Eddie again and I was able to meet her daughter, Eddie's son and the twins. I think I did alright. Here's the last image I captured. They ended up "holding hands" at the end. I think they were trying to calm each other down because they definitely were not having fun.



No comments posted.